Renting a car is great way of getting around and exploring the area. Having a car available to you on your holiday gives you the freedom and flexibility to schedule your own trips and excursions at times that suit you.
1. To be sure you get the right hire car at the right price, you can look and book cars online at several sites. Most car hire provider companies offer discount car rental deals online.
2. Take your time and choose the most suitable car. If you are travelling to a country where the weather is expected to be warm, make sure the car has AC.
3. Generally the minimum age required to hire a car is 18. The driver must also have a driving licence for at least a year. Before you leave for the airport, make sure you have packed your driving licence (both the photocard AND the paper counterpart) as you may be required to produce it.
4. Inspect your rental car thoroughly before you leave the car park. Make sure that any dents, scratches or other damage discovered, are noted in the contract. If you find any damage, report it to the car hire representative to be sure that they are aware of it.
5. Before driving, familiarize yourself with the driving laws in the destination country.
6. You should definitely fill the tank up as car hire companies usually demand much more to fill it up in the event you leave it 50% empty when you have returned the car.
7. Insurance Excess – Ensure you are comfortable with this, you can pay more to enhance the excess.
8. Be sure to return the car at the time specified. Most car hire agreements are made on a 24 hour basis so if the car is returned late, you may be charged for an extra days hire.